Elder Garrett (in Zion)

Elder Garrett (in Zion)

Monday, November 5, 2012

October 29, 2012

Hey there everybody!

I can´t believe that it is almost Halloween... It doesn´t feel like Halloween at all here in Chile. There are a few little celebrations and some kids go trick or treating on Halloween night, but I miss the real Halloween fun! ^_^ Next year for sure I´ll be going all out and carve pumpkins and such! This year for Halloween we get to go to a mission conference with Elder Arnold, the Area President, so that will be fun! Apparently he is going to interview a couple random missionaries and also leave with a companionship to go proselyting in the end for a few house! That would be crazy to work with a general authority! I´m not too worried though. Elder Hughes is getting a little freaked out because he thinks that his spanish is not as good as it could be. He has improved a lot!

This last week was very interesting. We usually average around 150-160ish contacts every week (we are supposed to be able to at least contact 140 people, which is easy cakes!) But this past week we contacted 200+ people! That´s a new milestone for me in the mission! We have been working hard to help all of our investigators progress to be baptized and we have seen a lot of miracles this past week. We lost a little bit of contact with one of our investigators named Jocelyn because one of her kids are really sick and she was at the hospital every day and her husband had her cell phone and he wouldn´t answer it, so we decided to go try to find her. When we got to the hospital, the people wouldn´t let us in to go visit her because we didn´t have her full name (Chileans have 4 names....) so we couldn´t enter the hospital. So after doing all that we could (walking for an hour, trying to call someone to go find out her last name, etc... lots of fun random plans!), we said a prayer for help that we could find her and a little bit afterwards she came out of the hospital and was on her way to buy something to eat. It was so great to see that miracle that after we did all that we could, the Lord stepped in to bless us with the things that we couldn´t do. Even though she doesn´t have a baptizmal date now because she couldn´t go to church because she is spending all her time in the hospital with her kid, it was a miracle to be able to find her outside of the hospital and to be able to talk to her.

This past week I was also able to do some baptizmal interviews for 2 different people. One kid was named Diego who was baptized on Saturday. He has known the missionaries for like a month and has a really strong testimony. He shared his testimony of the spirit and the power of prayer and that he has recieved answers to all of his doubts that he has had through prayer. He also shared with me that before the missionaries came to his house and started teaching him, he would swear and such, but since then he has changed his group of friends to avoid bad influences in his life. Even though he is 13 years old and the only member in his family now, he wants to be a missionary and is forever grateful that he could learn about the gospel in his life. The other person is named David. He is going to get baptized this saturday. He is an eternal investigator and he didn´t have a baptizmal date until I interviewed him. He is an investigator of the sister missionaries in my district, so we went over to thier sector and I was able to interview David to see how he is going in his life and what I could do to help him to be baptized. It was a really spiritual uplifting experience and even though I have only ever met him once before, I was able to get to know him really well and to understand his doubts and concerns. I felt the spirit guide me during the whole interview and I could understand really what he was thinking. In the end he agreed to pray about baptizm for this next week and then a little later in the day he called the sister missionaries to let them know that he wants to be baptized this next saturday instead of waiting for another year or two. The sister missionaries are grateful that I could interview him... and they thanked me a ton and are so happy and excited, but I really didn´t do anything. I´m just glad that I can have the spirit to help me magnify my assignment as District Leader and that David could feel the spirit and recieve his own answer about baptizm!

So, the work just continues on with a smile and working hard! I miss you all and I hope you all have a happy Halloween! I love you all so much! Take care! Until next time!

Con amor,
Elder Garrett

A happy bean,
A funny picture that a little kid drew of Jesus,
and Elder Hughes saying a prayer with a Chilean
 



No comments:

Post a Comment