Elder Garrett (in Zion)

Elder Garrett (in Zion)

Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 6, 2012

Hey there everybody!

This past week has been full of excitement, adventure...and I'm exhausted! So this week I received a bunch of responsibility, and so here I am, really tired. Haha. This week I said goodbye to Elder Santos. Even though it was a tough cambio with him, I was able to learn a lot and grow as a person and a missionary. I wasn't really nervous to start training until right before the new missionaries arrived, the assistants told us that if we don't do well training, someone else would pick up where we left off with the training...or rather, someone else would get switched with us as trainers. But I am sure that I have been doing a good job up until this point and that I will continue training well. So last Tuesday all of the trainers met up to have a little meeting and to receive instructions of the training period. Training takes 12 weeks or 2 cambios, so I will be with my new comp for at least that long.

My new comp is named Elder Hughes. He is from Washington (state) and is a convert to the church. He was baptized a year and a half ago and is the only member of his family. He is 19 years old and decided to come on a mission because his life was saved by the missionaries that taught him. He is a great companion, but he doesn't speak very much Spanish. It is taking a lot of energy to have to teach him spanish, show him how to do everything and to teach almost everything in the lessons...but he has a great spirit and our investigators like him. I just have to get him to understand that if he can start speaking spanish more often, he will learn it faster! :P Haha. But he is really great. I'm training at the same time as two other Elders that were in my MTC district...Elder Humpherys and Elder Wilcox. It was so good to see them all!

Well, this week we have had a lot of success with our investigators and the work here in our sector. We put a goal of 10 baptizms for this month in our sector, and so far we have 8 baptizmal dates for this month! We are working so hard to make sure that all of our investigators can progress and get baptized...sometimes I feel like we don't have enough time to do everything! But I know that when we are doing our part, God will help us out with the rest. So we are going to keep working really hard here to help out our investigators.
Being a district leader is also taking a bit of energy out of me, but I am glad for the opportunity to learn and grow as a leader and as a person. i have to get up and give an hour and a half long class and to help other missionaries with their investigators and such...sigh, I'm glad that prayer really helps out.

This past week we've had lots of strange and spiritual experinences, but one stands out more to me than the rest. We visited a person in our ward that was really really really sick and we visited her to give her a blessing. Her name is Barbara and she is 17 years old and the only active member in her family. She really wanted to go to Seminary, school, work, etc. but she couldn't last week because she was really sick. So we passed by to visit her and her family and to give her a blessing. While I was giving her a blessing, I felt like I should say that in the morning she wouldn't have any symptoms and that she would be perfectly healed. She was coughing up blood with her sickness and other not so fun things. But i felt impressed to say that and then after the blessing we left and she went to church yesterday...it was fast sunday and she got up and bore her testimony and bore her testimony of the power of the priesthood. I'm so glad that I could use the priesthood worithly and that she was healed. The things that I said from the spirit really came to pass and she was grateful. I'm glad that I can bless the lives of other and to serve them. I'm glad that I am living worhily to heal people, and I am so grateful for all the love that our Heavenly Father has for us.
I love you all so much! The work is going great here and we are working hard! Hope you all are well! You are always in my prayers! Take care until next week!

Con mucho amor,
Elder Scott Garrett








No comments:

Post a Comment